Sunday, March 7, 2010

To Baba...On his birthday...

Dear Baba,

I’m away from those soothing words, the caring soul, the simple mind,

Looking for beauty, searching for knowledge, a love for nature that’s out of its kind,

Enthusiastic about life, its small wonders, magnanimity and pleasure,

A creative heart, a sensitive being that the world fails to measure...

It’s not now that I felt this, it’s just that I feel more inclined to show,

Baba, there have been times I’ve fought, been adamant, but I would like you to know,

I am not expressive enough, but I hope you understand,

The love and respect I have for you is a celebration, it’s grand,

The times when I’m up in the loft, flipping through your writings,

The times I remember you taking me around to see the Pujo lightings,

Your questions about random trees, birds and sometimes the name of road,

The way you bring security into our lives and our warm, beautiful abode,

The way I cherish it when you praise me, when you support me with what I want,

Makes me feel like bringing to you all I can and sometimes even what I can’t,

The advices you give, the words you share, the little joys that bring to us all through,

Baba, I realise I don’t say or show it much, but I truly, deeply love you.

            Lots of hugs and kisses on this special day,

            Mitti.

Happy Birthday!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Gosh! You made me miss my Dad at a wrong time. I cant even call him up this late :P

    loved the post...simple, sweet, touching :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thank you... I'v never shared my post before and thus, not used to receiving comments...Feels great...Thanks again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I stopped writing poems quite some time back because I started enjoying prose more. But I really liked this poem because it has a certain simplicity to it, something nice and true rather than something flashy and heavy. I think the most effective poems are the ones that are honest and simple...like this one. :D

    ReplyDelete